So, last Saturday... I whipped up a quick Tom-Yam meal for 4!
I didn't make the meal from scratch with normal herbs and all but for busy housewifes and young people like us with zero patience when it comes to whipping up a meal... This is quite a good recipe! (Though I know of youngsters who are real passionate about cooking & I salute you all. My colleague Ann is one of them. She cooks damn well and is real passionate abt it even up to all the nitty and gritty details like the presentation of the food!!)
Anyway, here are ingredients you need:
Tom Yam Fried Rice
Finely chopped garlic- 2 tbsp
Cold overnight cooked rice
Galangal (Blue ginger) -Finely chopped, 2 tbsp
Shrimps (Or whatever ingredients you want with your rice? Try chicken breast if you prefer to have meat)
Few pieces of Kaffir Lime Leaves
Lemongrass (I chopped mine for the taste to blend in with the rice)
Lime juice (3-4 tbsp- freshly squeezed will be good)
Fish Oil - 1 tbsp
Chilli Padi (I can't find Thai chilli in normal NTUC supermarkets so I used normal ones. You can get Thai chillies at Golden Mile!)
Tom Yam Paste (The life-saver)
Prepare your ingredients, chop them up nicely and this will take around 15 mins.
And this is the Tom Yam paste that I use. I think it costs $2.60 at NTUC.
I basically didn't follow a recipe and followed my heart so here goes...
- Put some oil in the pan and wait for it to heat up.
- Add your garlic, lemongrass, galangal, chilli padi and stir fry it for a half a minute.
- Put the shrimps in and continue stir-frying
- Than add the rice. (This is the difficult part for me because I am quite small sized and I am damn weak so to stir-fry rice for 4 people.. It was super tedious and I had to fry them in 2 portions and I still made a mess out of my kitchen)
- Make a hole in the middle of the rice and add in the tom yam paste. I used 5 spoonful and it was just right.
- Keep stirring and slowly add in your lime juice, soya sauce, sugar, salt and fish oil to taste. It is a frangrant + flavorful combination. I can't tell you how much I used because it was all based on feelings. I kept trying the rice and adding the condiments until the taste was just right.
Cut a piece of lime and put it on the side before you serve.
Now, for the easier one and the one that requires less effort:
Seafood Tom Yam Soup
Oyster Mushrooms- 1 packet
Squid - I used 2 but you can use more if you like seafood. Up to your preference.
8-10 Prawns- Peel off the skin but keep the shrimp heads so as to gain the sweetness for your soup when it boils
Lime Juice - amt depends on how sour you want your soup to be.
Lemongrass- 3 stalks. (Use the inner tender part)
Chilli Padi- Me and my audience are spice lovers so I added this. You can opt out if you don't need the soup to be too spicy.
Tom Yam Stock Knorr Cubes(Life-saver.. I basically improved the recipe from the back of the box)
Bring 2 litres of water to boil.
Add the lemongrass.
Add the knorr cubes & chilli padi when water is at boiling point. Stir well and for me, I added the Tom Yam paste that I used for the fried rice for a more richer taste.
Lower the heat and simmer while adding in all the ingredients- mushroom, prawns & squid. Let them cook for 4 minutes.
Keep stirring and in fish oil to taste.
You may add in more tom yam paste or more knorr cubes if you have added too much water. Go with your guts and you will get the perfect balance.
Lastly, add in the lime juice and you will taste both the spice and sourness that you will find in a tom yam soup!
I must say it was a total success for me and I was so happy! Acheivement unlocked!
Share with me your recipes as well or if you decided to use my recipe, let me know how it went! You can tweet me, tag me your dish on instagram or PM me on FB. Whatever flows your boat.
Thank you for reading. Xoxo.
Labels: Cooking, Food, Recipe